Can I prevent recent programs from showing up on my start menu?
I have a question for you Mr. Admin, after running or installing an App why do some of them find a new home on my start menu? This is really annoying can we turn off this
annoying piece of crap feature?I know I can manually remove them but I hope you can stop it all together!
As always Jay we have several solutions for fixing your issue and hopeful helping maintain your sanity.
- Right click the Start button
- Customize button
- General tab
- Under Programs
- Set Number of programs on Start menu to 0 (zero)
- Click the Clear List button
- Set number of programs on Start menu to be 0
- Hit the clear List button
Option #2: Group Policy on XP Pro
- Type: gpedit.msc
- Navigate to >>> User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu
And finally not for the faint of heart – we can do it via an registry edit:
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer
- Check the DWORD value
- A value of 1 is enabled, and a value of 0 is disabled.
Never again will your emabrising applications be pinned to your start menu just because someone in Redmond thought it would be a good idea!
And for some more good reading check out:
- How To Prevent a SPECIFIC Program from Being Displayed in the Most Frequently Used Programs List in Windows XP while leaving alone the rest of your apps.
- Programs removed from the start menu sometime return and
- Why don’t I have the CLEAR button on my start menu list?